Gluten Free and Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies


Gluten Free and Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies



With today being National Cookie Day I would be remiss not to share a healthish cookie recipe.  I went gluten free a couple years ago and my son is dairy free and finding a good tasting cookie recipe was difficult.  Cookies were either dry, taste weird, have expensive ingredients that were hard to find…. The list went on and on.  Until one day my friend shared her recipe with me.  It was a WINNER.  If you are in the mood for a cookie this fits the bill.



Ingredients:

1/3 cup coconut oil (not solid like a rock but not liquid either.  Just soft to the touch else your cookies will be an odd texture)

½ cup coconut sugar (some of you will ask about subbing out honey or maple syrup.  I found it made the cookies weird texture again.  The coconut sugar gives it the “cookie feel”)

2 tsp vanilla extract

2 TBSP almond milk

1 cup almond flour

1 cup oat flour (make sure if you are gluten free that the flour is certified gluten free.  While oats are gluten free often times in a facility that contains gluten so just be mindful)

½ tsp salt

½ tsp baking powder

½ tsp baking soda

½ cup dark chocolate chips (I use Lily’s dark chocolate chips)



Directions:

Preheat oven to 350.  Either line your baking sheet with parchment or get out your silpat.

In a stand mixer combine coconut oil and coconut sugar.  Mix on high for a minute or so then add in your almond milk and vanilla extract.  Mix another 20-30 seconds.

With the mixer on slowly add in the almond flour (slowly or you will have it all up in your face).  Then add in the oat flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.  Continue mixing till the dough forms.  This is about 20-30 seconds.  Scrape down all the sides to make sure everything is incorporated.  If its still crumbly keep mixing.  Add the chocolate chips at the end with a spatula.

I use my cookie scooper and scoop this delicious dough out on my cookie sheets.  I bake for about 12 minutes- I can see the edges beginning to turn a light golden brown.  Remove from oven.  I allow to cool on the sheet for a minute or two then put on my cooling racks.  Allow at least 15 minutes before scarfing one down. 



Hope you like this recipe.  Please let me know if you give them a try as well as your thoughts. 

Happy National Cookie Day!



Comments